Latinas Contra Cancer (LCC) was born out of the necessity to increase cancer awareness and decrease mortality in the Latino community. The Agency is based in San Jose, CA in the Silicon Valley where almost a third of the population of the County is Latino. It was founded in September of 2003, incorporated in the State of California in 2004 and is a non-profit agency which received its 501c(3) in February 2005.LCC was founded by Ysabel Duron, a San Francisco newscaster and cancer survivor.
Clients Served (1st Six Months)
- 50 first time phone calls for support, information, resources
- 12 women in case management
- 3 women ongoing support
May 9, 2004
Mother’s Day Walk Against Cancer,
Many Small Steps Making a Big Difference
- Major Cancer Walk
- 302 Mostly Latino Walkers
- $73,000 Raised (Gross)
Breast Health Bingo
- Launched beta testing in 5 cities in 2004
- 250 Participants
- Received a $10K Project Grant from Roche Pharmaceutical
- Participant calls breast health bingo "sugar coated medicine."